I ate Mejadra last year for the first time at PFWA (Pakistan Foreign office Woman Association) food festival arranged in Islamabad. Though I tried many dishes their from different stalls. But this one was the most different and amazing. It was made with three main ingredients: Rice, Brown Lentils and Spaghetti, garnished with caramelized onions which was giving it an amazing taste.
The dish is very similar to Pakistani Pulaao (Rice made in chicken or beef stock). My mother tried the dish at home and made some variations to the original recipe. The variations are so minor that it does not change the taste of the dish. The dish tastes exactly the same I ate at the festival.
Brown Lentil (Sabat Masar key daal) 1 1/2 cups (cooked)*
Rice (Basmati) 1 1/2 cup (boiled)**
Spaghetti Noodles 1 cup (boiled)**
Soy Sauce 4 to 5 tbsp
Sweet Soy Sauce 4 to 5 tbsp
Black pepper (Kali Mirch) 3/4 tbsp
Cumin Seeds (Zeera) 2 tsp
Onion 2 medium size thinly sliced
Oil 1/4 cup
*TO COOK BROWN LENTIL:
- Heat 5 cup water in a medium sized pan and add 1 1/2 tsp salt in it.
2. Wash the lentil and put it in water pan.
3. Bring the water to boil.
4. Reduce the heat and cover with lid.
5. Leave for 45 min or till the lentil is tender.
METHOD FOR MUJADARA:
- Heat oil in a pan at medium heat and add cumin seed.
- When cumin seeds slightly change their color, add rice, lentils and spaghetti.
- Combine the above three with the help of spatula or use your hands.
- Add Soy sauce, Sweet soy sauce and black pepper.
- Mix well.
- Cover with lid and leave for 7 to 10 mins at very low heat, or till the steam comes out of the pan.
- Garnish with caramelized onions.
- Serve hot.
** Add 1 1/2 tsp salt when you boil rice and noodles.
Serves: 6 – 8 persons
Try this recipe and don’t forget to give your feedback. If you make any variation do let us know. We will try that and will publish on our blog with your name. If you are confused about any step or you have any questions about the recipe feel free to ask via comment box. 🙂