Seekh Kabab is one of the most important item of Pakistani barbecue. Pakistani weddings, parties, get togethers, hotel buffets and hi tea menus are incomplete without Seekh Kabab.
Seekh Kabab is made with ground beef and is grilled or roasted on skewer, mostly done on coal stoves or grillers. The aroma of coal mixed with that of spices gives it a special taste, color and texture.
I chose this recipe for Eid ul Azha keeping in mind the importance of seekh kabab in the barbecue parties and gatherings see here .
I had no coal for my griller so I decided to make the kababs in a pan on simple stove. I used skewers to shape my kababs. But you can also make cylindrical shape kababs which will be very similar to seekh kabab shape.
Here is the recipe:
Ground Beef 1 kg
Garam Masala 1/2 tsp
Black cumin (Kala zeera) 1/2 tsp (Roasted)
White cumin (Safed zeera) 3/4 tsp (Roasted)
Carom seeds (Ajwain) 3/4 tsp (Roasted)
Poppy seeds (Khashkhash) 1 1/2 tsp (Roasted)
Nutmeg and mace (Jaiphal aur javitri) 1/4 tsp
Caramelized onion 1 medium
Red Chilli powder 1/2 tsp
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Black pepper powder 1/4 tsp
Fresh coriander 1 tb sp
Ginger 1 tsp
Papaya peel paste 1 tsp
Green chilli 1 1/2
Onion one medium thinly chopped
Ghee/ Butter/ Fat 3 to 4 tb sp
Oil For frying (3 to 4 tb sp for each batch)
- Grind all the dry ingredients together in a grinder, so they are properly combined.
- In a blender, blend all wet ingredients to make a thick paste.
- Add both dry and wet ingredients in ground beef and mix with your hands or spatula.
- Add eggs and ghee and mix in the ground beef.
- Form cylinder shape kababs with your hands or use skewers (Shape of kababs is shown in the picture).
- Fry for 3 to 5 mins so that they are properly cooked (keep rotating the kabab during frying)
- Serve hot with salad, raita or chatni.
MAKES : 24
Try this recipe and don’t forget to give your feedback. If you make any variation do let us know. We will try that and will publish on our blog with your name. If you are confused about any step or you have any questions about the recipe feel free to ask via comment box. 🙂