Plain tea cake is a cake with no additional flavors except that of vanilla essence. It is simple and easy to make. Its a very basic kind of cake and is basis for all other flavored cakes.
This recipe was given to me by a family friend. It is since then that I make my cakes on the basis of this cake. Plain cake is my Mother’s favorite too. Its simple, its soft ,but becomes crispy if refrigerated for a day or two. In that case you can microwave the cake for 30 seconds though crispy version is not that bad too. I like it warm with the cup of tea or coffee.
Follow the recipe completely. When you place your cake in an oven keep the pan rotating after every 5 mins.
Cake test in the end is must. Cake test is to insert the tooth pick or fork inside the cake and if it come out clean (without any wet batter stick in to it) then it means your cake is ready.
Flour 1 1/2 cup
Baking Powder 1 1/2 tsp
Sugar 3/4 cup
Oil 3/4 cup
Vanilla Essence 1 tsp
1. Pre heat oven at 180 degree C.
2. Brush 8” cake tin (or 10 x 21 cm loaf tin) with butter or oil , and line the base with baking paper (If available)
3. Sift together flour and baking powder in a bowl.
4. In a separate bowl beat oil and sugar till properly combined.
5. Add one egg at a time continue beating (beat each egg for 1 minute) and add vanilla essence.
6. Fold the dry ingredients (Flour and baking powder) in to wet ingredients with the help of spatula.
7. Pour the batter in to the cake tin and level it.
8. Bake the cake for 35 to 40 mins or till the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Let it cool completely and then take out in the platter. Enjoy with tea.
Try this recipe and don’t forget to give your feedback. If you make any variation do let us know. We will try that and will publish on our blog with your name. If you are confused about any step or you have any questions about the recipe feel free to ask via comment box. 🙂