Chicken Karahi is one of my favourite dish. Whenever I visit any desi restaurant my meal is incomplete without ordering seekh kabab and chicken ir mutton karahi. Like every dish, there are thousands of ways/recipes to make chicken karahi. Here is how I made mine and it was loved by family Alhamdulillah 😊
I will try to explain step by step recipe, but if you still get stuck somewhere feel free to ask 😊.
Here is the recipe:
Chicken 1.5 kgs
Onion 1 small caramelized and ground
Caramelized onion after grindin in grinder
Yoghut 1 cup
Salt according to taste
Red Chilli powder 2 tblsp
Cumin powder dry roast half tbsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tea sp
Dry corriender powder 2 tbsp
Lemon juice 1 medium size lemon
Black pepper powder 1 1/2 tea sp
Ginger Garlic paste 2 tbsp
Oil 1/4 cup
Tomatoes 4 medium tomatoes chopped in
Garam Masalah 1 tea sp
Green chillies 4 small chopped
Green coriander 1/4 cup
Ginger 1 small pc cut in to long pcs
STEP 1 MARINATION OF CHICKEN:
1. In yoghurt add onion, salt, chilli powder, cumin, turmeric, coriander powder, lemon juice, black pepper powder, ginger garlic paste.
2. Mix all.
3. Pour the yoghurt mixture in to the chicken, make sure that all chicken pieces are covered with yoghurt mixture.
4. Leave for an hour.
1. Heat oil in a pan (preferably karhaai)
2. Add chopped tomatoes.
3. Cover with lid and leave for 10 minutes at medium heat.
1. Remove the lid, you will see that tomatoes will be a bit tender.
2. Add yoghurt chicken mixture in to the tomatoes.
3. Mix well.
4. Cover with lid and leave for another 10 to 15 minutes at medium heat. ( there is NO NEED to add water)
5. After 15 minutes open the lid. You will see that the chicken would be tender by then, and you will see lots of shorba (curry)
6. Turn the flame to high.
7. Add half of ginger, half of green chillies and half amount of green coriander and garam masalah.
8. Cook the chicken by occasionally stirring (this is called bhunaai) for about 10 minutes
9. Once the chicken is quite dry (not completely dried), slow down the flame to very low and half cover with lid for 2 to 3 minutes.
10. Turn of theflame and garnish with remaining ginger, green chillis and green coriander.
11. Serve hot with Nan/chapati/paratha and yoghurt raita.
Hope you enjoyed my recipe. Don’t forget to give your feedback 😊 .. happy eating