This recipe was contributed by one of my very dear friend Batool Fatima and her Mother. I was searching for some Punjabi recipes. I discussed it with Batool and she asked her mother who gave me 2 awesome recipes. I decided to try this one first. The recipe was very easy and simple. Everyone one loved the Halwa and I received so many compliments from my family. I am very grateful to my friend and her mother for sharing this wonderful recipe with me.
Makhandi halwa is a speciality of Punjab Province. It has a soft texture like pudding. Addition of butter/ghee and cardamom gives it a lovely aroma and almonds (or any other dry fruits) adds more taste to this sweet delight.
The recipe is very simple and easy. I hope you will like it.
Semolina (Sooji) 1 cup (Soaked in water for minimum 4 to 6 hours or over night)
Ghee/ Butter 1/2 cup + 2 tbl sp
Cardamom 3 crushed
Sugar 1/2 cup + 2 tbl sp
Water 3/4 cup
- In a medium size pan heat ghee or butter in a pan at medium heat.
- Add Cardamom.
- Add Sugar and water and cook till the sugar is dissolved.
- Dispose off the Suji water.
- Add Suji in the ghee and sugar mixture and stir for 10 minutes. Add Almonds and stir.
- Cover and leave for 5 minutes are very low heat.
- Garnish with almonds.
- *I used chopped Almonds. Half quantity was used while making the halwa… See step 5. Rest of the Almonds were used for garnishing … See Step 7
Try this recipe and don’t forget to give your feedback. If you make any variation do let us know. We will try that and will publish on our blog with your name. If you are confused about any step or you have any questions about the recipe feel free to ask via comment box. 🙂