Caramel custard or pudding is one of my favorite childhood desserts. It is made with lots of eggs some milk and of course some sugar. Yeah just 3 ingredients. The caramel part is optional. I just added few roasted almonds in the caramel part to give it a slight nutty taste.
Always use full fat milk for caramel custard to give it a thicker texture. This thicker texture will help in setting the custard quickly. I have used 1 1/2 cup sugar in my recipe. You can always add more sugar according to your taste.
Lets start the recipe:
Milk 5 cups
Sugar 1 1/2 cup
Sugar 1 1/2 cup
Roasted Almonds 1/4 cup
- Pre-heat oven at 180 deegrees.
- Grease, an oven proof pudding mold using oil.
- In a clean and dried bowl beat eggs one by one with an electric or hand mixer.
- Add sugar and continue beating.
- Gradually add milk and vanilla essence and continue beating.
- Pour the mixture in mold.
- Cover the mold with aluminium foil.
- Take an other larger bowl and fill it 1/4 with hot water. (The bowl should be large enough, so that pudding mold can easily be placed in it ).
- Place the pudding bowl in water bowl and bake for an hour or until the pudding is set. (You can check if the pudding is set or not by removing a portion of foil and inserting tooth pick or fork inside. If the tooth pick comes out clean it means your pudding is ready).
- Let it cool at room temperature for an hour and then place it in refrigerator for 5 to 6 hours.
- Take out the pudding from the mold and pour caramel over it.
- Melt sugar in a pan at very low heat, till its dark brown in color. Add almonds in your caramel and coat them in caramel properly.
- Remove the caramel from heat.
- Pour hot caramel over Custard.
- Your Caramel custard is ready. You can either serve immediately or put it in refrigerator and serve after few hours.